The Hamden Rotary Club has several programs and awards aimed at recognizing the good work and efforts of the youth in town.
- At the elementary level there is the Student of the Month Award, where each month a different school chooses a student to be recognized.
- At the middle school level, two students are chosen each marking period to receive the Rotary Award.
- At the high school level, the club has a yearly Sportsmanship Ceremony, scholarships, as well as recognizes the Top 3 students from Eli Whitney Technical High School.
It is important to note that all of these awards are not given for academic achievement, but rather, the character of the students - how respectful they are, how they go out of their ways to help others, and how they strive to make good decisions each and every day.
Along the same lines of these awards, and to commemorate its 75 years of serving the Greater Hamden Community, the Hamden Rotary is excited to announce that it will be awarding a new community award starting this March and annually thereafter.
This award will recognize a local resident, businessperson, or town employee for their long time commitment to serving the needs of the Hamden Community.
To be considered for the award the person should exemplify the both the Object of Rotary:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
- High ethical standards in business and professions;
- the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations;
- the dignifying of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society
- The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian's personal, business, and community life;
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
And the 4 Way Test,
Of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
The Hamden Rotary Club is asking that all submissions include a one paged (typed) letter describing how and why the nominated person should be considered for this award.
The submissions can be either sent physically to: Hamden Rotary Club, P.O. Box 185304, Hamden, CT 06518 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and must be received no later than Wednesday, Feb. 29.
The winner will be presented their award at the Hamden Rotary's 75th Anniversary Gala being held on March 23 at Laurel View Country Club.
Any questions should be directed to Joena Russell at email@example.com or 203-606-9975.
For more information on Hamden Rotary, visit www.hamdenctrotary.org