The holiday season may be over — but winter itself still has several weeks of snow, ice and frigid temps up its sleeve.
Case in point: The National Weather Service has just issued a winter storm warning for Hamden, as well as much of the rest of the region.
The warning goes into effect tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. and continues through to early Friday afternoon.
Thursday Night Into Friday Afternoon
During that time, the region will receive a total accumulation of some 6 to 10 inches of snow.
"One to two inches are forecast through the Thursday morning rush hour followed by a lull," the NWS meteorologists state in their report. "The most significant period of snow will redevelop by Thursday evening and continue into Friday morning."
'Near Blizzard Conditions'
During that time period, the coming storm is expected to deliver "near blizzard conditions" — with wind gusts of up to 35 miles per hour blowing and drifting the heavy snow about, creating hazardous driving conditions.
Frigid air moving in with the storm will have an impact over the next 36 hours.
"Wind chills from 5 degrees below 0 to 15 degrees below 0 Thursday night through Friday, will produce extremely cold conditions," the meteorologists state in their report.
The upcoming forecast for is as follows:
- Tonight - Light snow likely, mainly after 3 a.m. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Light and variable wind becoming northeast 9 to 14 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Thursday - Snow. High near 25. Blustery, with a northeast wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Thursday Night - Snow with widespread blowing snow. Low around 15. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a north wind 23 to 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
- Friday - Snow, mainly before noon. High near 18. Wind chill values as low as -6. Windy, with a northwest wind 21 to 26 mph decreasing to 14 to 19 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
- Friday Night - Clear, with a low around 1. Northwest wind 8 to 10 mph.
- Saturday - Sunny, with a high near 23.