My name is Elizabeth "Betty" Wetmore and I am running for re-election for Council At Large.
I have served on the Council for 10 years, four of them as Minority Leader. I have lived in Hamden for 60 years and am married to Hamden retired Fire Chief Paul Wetmore. We have five children and 11 grandchildren.
My platform for re-election is simple:
1) I will continue to look across party lines to make decisions that are in the best interests of all the citizens of Hamden.
2) I will continue to serve the people of Hamden with COMMON SENSE and HONESTY.
3) The BOE must be strongly encouraged to keep costs down while providing the highest standard of education.
4) I will continue to demand fiscal responsibility and promote more economic development to ease the taxpayer's already heavy burden.
5)I will continue to listen to and provide for our senior citizens.
SOME FACTS: Currently Hamden has approx. $255 million in bonding debt but only has $1.8 million in our current fund and has a 38.94 mill rate which, is climbing and is one of the highest rates in the state. We must have a strong, knowledgeable council who is will to cross party lines and vote for what is best for the town of Hamden and the taxpayers. We must stop the current rate of spending and bonding!!!
Some of my current community service:
- Hamden Rotary.
- Co-Founder and past president of Hamden Senior Wish Society.
- Director of the Greater New Haven Health Care Council, the Senior Professional Council, the Hamden Chamber of Commerce and the Hamden/ North Haven YMCA.