This Sunday, Dec. 2, the Sleeping Giant Park Association will enhance its regular holiday “extravaganza” by incorporating a Food & Necessities Drive to assist those less fortunate. We ask you to consider bringing non-perishable food and/or other needed items with you to the hike. We’ll take care of delivery to the Soup Kitchen.
Organized by Bobette Giorgi and other SGPA Board members, this effort is in support of the New Haven Community Soup Kitchen. According to one of the Quinnipiac legends, Hobomock, our Sleeping Giant, provided for the people and they lived in harmony under his watch. We hope that, in this spirit and in the spirit of the season you will be generous. Thank you.
The soup kitchen has provided Bobette with the following "wish list" of needed items:
- Food: canned veggies or spaghetti sauce (#10 size cans), salt, seasoned salt, granulated garlic, ground pepper, beef /chicken base, coffee/tea, healthy snack foods (granola bars/small boxes raisins, etc.)
- Paper Goods: paper towels, toilet paper, napkins, foil
- Cleaning Supplies: dish detergent (Dawn etc.), machine detergent (Cascade etc.), bleach, general cleaning supplies (Windex, Lysol, Pine Sol etc.), laundry detergent, cloth dishtowels, spray on oven cleaner
- Office Supplies: copy paper, stamps
- First Aid: band aids, antibacterial ointment
- Holiday Needs: frozen turkeys, holiday cookies, cider, stuffing mix
- Winter Items: socks, gloves, knit hats
In addition, the Association would like to help you out with your holiday gift list! The following will be available at the pavilion during the Social:
- Sleeping Giant caps ($10)
- Sleeping Giant decals ($2) and patches ($4)
- Born Among the Hills: the Sleeping Giant Story ($7)
- The Giant’s Treasure Chest (An ABC book) ($17)
Also, for that special hiker, nature lover, or outdoor person in your life, you might consider:
- A Gift Membership
- A donation to the Park in his/her name
Most importantly, however, we hope you will come to enjoy the gifts of nature and fresh air that the Giant provides and revel in the camaraderie of other folks who love the Sleeping Giant.