Did you know that Sleeping Giant State Park was a gift of local folks to the State? They thought this was a special landmark that should be preserved for all and for all time.
The normal progression is that the state acquires land, creates a state park, and opens it for public recreational usage. Long before our time, in fact, in the early 1800’s, there were forward thinking individuals who thought a public area/park should be created that would run from East Rock to Sleeping Giant. Now THAT would be a park!
Instead, the years passed, East Rock Park was created, and building along the ridges (Ridge Road and all) began. It was not until the early 19-teens that folks, most likely in reaction to the quarrying that began in 1911, began to seriously talk about “saving the Giant.”
Work on bringing the idea to fruition was interrupted by the First World War, but in 1924, the first land was donated, more was purchased from monies donated by area residents, the Sleeping Giant Park Association was formed, and the acquired land was turned over to the State. Shortly thereafter, the campaign to “Save the Giant’s Head” began in earnest, which is why and how we have a complete Sleeping Giant today.
“He’s a gift and a treasure that comes from out past; now it’s OUR job to make sure that he lasts!”