As concerns about crime in the town's south end have increased, the Hamden Police Department has stepped up its focus on that area, culminating in the 13 arrests made in the early morning hours Thursday, according to police spokesman Capt. Ronald Smith.
"Throughout the months of October through December 2012, the Hamden Police Department Street Interdiction Team began an investigation into drug trafficking and violent crime activity that has been reported in the southern section of Hamden, specifically in the First Street area," Smith said in a release Thursday night. "The investigation was supported by information received from the community, as well as from information developed by investigative personnel."
That investigation led to the approval of 28 warrants for 16 people, Smith said, 13 of whom were arrested Thursday during early-morning raids. Most of those arrests were for drug charges, and more arrests are expected, he said.
“This operation and these arrests represent a high level of teamwork and initiative by our staff, as well as an unwavering commitment to our communities that the Hamden Police Departmentis dedicated to eradicating our streets of drug trafficking and violent crime," Police Chief Thomas Wydra said. "We place the highest value on our community partnerships, and the delivery of effective and evidence-basedpolice services.”
Those arrested include:
- Brian Ward, 20, of 39 Gorham St., Hamden, was charged with conspiracy to sell marijuana and sale of marijuana.
- Brian Smith, 20, of 659 Newhall St., Hamden, was charged with two counts of sale of marijuana.
- Calvin Brown, 36, of 44 First St., Hamden, was charged with three counts of sale of marijuana.
- Demarco Ware, 18, of 113 Second St., Hamden, was charged with three counts of Sale of marijuana.
- Alahn Cole, 22, of 171 Warner St., Hamden, was charged with conspiracy to sell marijuana.
- Brett Givens, 27, of 966 Winchester Ave., Hamden, was charged with sale of marijuana.
- Tony Felton, 19, of 48 Fourth St., He was charged with Sale of Marijuana, Possession ofMarijuana and Interfering with a Police Officer.
- Jonathan Coburn, 21, of 655 Fitch St., Unit 17D, Hamden, was charged with sale of marijuana.
- George White, 52, of 655 Fitch St., Unit 17D, Hamden, was charged with first-degree failure to appear in court.
- Jason Corso, 32, of 1879 State St., Hamden, was charged with sale of narcotics.
- Steven Steele, 34, of 65 Easton St., Hamden, was charged with sale of Narcotics, five counts of possession of narcotics, five counts of possession of narcotics with the intent to sell and risk of injury to a minor.
- Theodore Hawley, 40, of 11 Dix St., Hamden, was charged with second-degree threatening and disorderly conduct.
- Rashuad Parson, 24, of 218 Farren Ave., New Haven, was charged with sale of narcotics.
All 13 were held on bonds that ranged from $25,000 to $50,000, Wydra said. They are scheduled to appear in Meriden Superior Court on Jan. 24.