The semi-annual bulk trash pick up program for Hamden begins Oct. 1. Hamden residents may put bulk trash curbside in front of their homes anytime between Oct. 1 and Oct. 31. Please do not put out bulk trash before Oct. 1.
Acceptable items will be picked up by Hamden’s trash hauler throughout the entire month of October. No phone calls or appointments are necessary. Residents are urged to have bulk at the curb by or before their last regular refuse pick-up day for the month of October. The program will run again in April.
Acceptable items (150 pounds or less) are:
- rugs (must be rolled up and tied like a log; no longer than four feet in length);
- household appliances (washers, dryers,air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, toasters, lamps, microwaves); Note: State Law requires the removal of air-tight doors on refrigerators and other appliances;
- light and heavy iron goods;
- metal items (place at one end of the pile for separate scrap metal pick-up)
Unacceptable items are:
- hazardous waste including oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, household cleaners, antifreeze,aerosols, batteries, gasoline, motor oil (contact HazWaste Central at 203-401-2712);
- remodeling, construction and demolition debris from any structure or part thereof, homeowner must rent a dumpster. If you have reusable cabinets, doors, etc. contact Urbanminers, LLC, 30 Manila Avenue in Hamden 203-287-0852 or the ReConnstruction Center at www.ReConnstruction.org or 860-597-3390;
- plumbing fixtures, sinks and pipes; a single unit or fixture may be accepted at the HamdenTransfer Station;
- tires, vehicle parts, lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment (remove all fluids from engines, dispose of fluids at HazWaste Central and dispose of equipment at the Hamden Transfer Station);
- branches, grass, leaves, tree stumps, rocks, sand, and dirt (contact Public Works at (203) 287-2600 for specific guidelines);
- propane tanks (accepted at Eastern Fuel in Hamden or Agway in North Haven - $6.00 fee);
- computers, televisions and other electronics (bring to Hamden Transfer Station for recycling –be sure to remove the hard drive on your computers first);
- pool covers (accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station).
The Hamden Transfer Station is located at 231 Wintergreen Avenue (hours are M-F from 7:30am-3pm, 1st and 3rd Saturdays from 8am-11:45am) and the phone # is: 203-387-2435.