Mayor Scott Jackson said he wants to increase citizen input to town government through participation in its Boards and Commissions and is looking for residents interested in volunteering to serve on one of the town’s boards and commissions.
Those interested should send a letter of interest and a resume to Town Clerk Vera Morrison, 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518.
There are 33-plus volunteer boards and commissions in Hamden. Information on each Commission may be found on the Town’s web site at www.hamden.com under Government, and includes mission statements, meeting schedules, etc.
Availability on commissions occurs when terms expire or volunteers resign. The length of terms vary from commission to commission, but most are three years. Town ordinances require that boards and commissions include representatives of more than one political party. The majority of the boards and commissions meet one evening each month, but some do meet during business hours.
- Hamden needs a new representative to the Cable Advisory Council, which meets at the CTV Office on State Street the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
- There is a vacancy on the Clean & Green Commission, which meets on the third Monday of the month at the Government Center.
- The Energy Use & Climate Change Commission is in need of one member who is not a registered Democrat. Its meetings are held at the Hamden Government Center at 7:00 p.m. on the third Monday of each month.
- The Fair Rent Commission meets as needed, and has a vacancy for a citizen representative (not a landlord or tenant) who is not a Democrat.
- The Historic Properties Commission has an opening for an Alternate member of any party. Meetings are held on the third Wednesday of the month except July and August at 7:00 p.m. at the Government Center.
- The Human Services Commission is in need of two members who are not registered Democrats and they meet on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Government Center.
- The Natural Resources and Open Space Commission is in need of a new member that is not a registered Democrat. The NROS Commission meets on the last Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at the Government Center.
For schedules and responsibilities regarding all Boards and Commissions please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 203 287-7112.